Followers

Monday, September 15, 2008

Quote of the Week

I've decided to add a new element to my blog. It's no biggie, but it's representative of who I am, so like it darn it! I love to read and always have. Reading is one of my guilty pleasures at this phase in my life. You probably don't know this about me and it's kinda silly but I keep a book in my purse and read whenever I have a spare moment: at long stop lights, while I wait to pick my kids up from school, if I am waiting for an appointment of any kind, when I exercise, while my kids swim in the pool, when I have time before I fall asleep, any other period of seconds or minutes that is unoccupied by other responsibilities. I think I read about 1 book every 10 to 14 days because I love literature so much. Right now I am reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. It's excellent and was recommended to me by one of my best friends and fellow book connoisseurs, Olivia Wallace. Good choice Oli! My quote for this week is:

"In years to come, he would be a giver of bread, not a stealer-proof again of the contradictory human being. So much good, so much evil. Just add water."

-Death
"The Book Thief"

Do you have a favorite book? If you do, I would love to read it! Leave a comment to this post that includes your favorite book and why you liked it. There are only two rules to follow: First Rule-check my Shelfari book shelf and make sure it's NOT something already on there. Second Rule-it can't be a book from the Twilight series, people (just in case you are cheating and not checking my shelfari). We all love that series. The fabulousness is known. Recommendations are my favorite way to find the next book I will read. I still remember the first recommendation I ever got from a friend. One of my best friends from high school times, Amanda Teare, recommended "Follow the River", an amazing piece of American historical fiction. I have since read that book 3 times and love it each time I read it even more. It remains one of my very favorites of all time and rests as a permanent resident on my non-virtual bookshelf. Thanks Amanda! So leave your favorite as a gift to me. Thank you in advance!

6 comments:

Olivia W. said...

that book was awesome! excellent writing, as evidenced by the quote. this sounds fun...i love reading, i told you i actually used to get grounded from it. i'm a dork, yes. you have such great recommendations too! i think we need to start a book exchange.

Kerry said...

I only read knitting pattern books and scriptures. I am so lame. and I only added the scriptures there because I "sometimes" read them. OY!

Kerry said...

Amy, You are honestly the best psuedo-sister in the entire world. Thank you for your comment, I was beginning to despair. I am thankful for you everyday, but I am double-y thankful for you today!!

xox, K

Karina said...

Have you read "These is my Words"? I'm not sure that I have a favorite book, but this was a great read.

Jenny said...

HI! It's Jenny Hill. Remember me. Julie told me you moved to Lantana. Is that right? If so we are so close! We are renting a home in Highland Village. Right next to Flower Mound.We moved here last week. We are thinking of buying a place in Flower Mound but I want to know how Lantana is. Let me know if you guys like it and I'll keep updated on your blog. Is it a city or a housing development? Where do you guys do your shopping? I think I've seem billboards up for it. Talk to you later! Thanks. Beautiful home!!

Brandi said...

Amy I love your blog! And I love to read too. I read The Book Theif this summer. It was great. I love classics. Anything Jane Austen although Pride and Prejudice is my fav and Jane Eyre is another fav. Another book I read this year that I liked a lot is "When Crickets Cry." So great to catch up with you on the blog and facebook! luv ya!